The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises a staff of four which includes Accounts Payable. They are responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, and year end audit preparation. The Accounting Manager will have contact with all levels of management which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Obtains and maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensures an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close, making sure all reporting deadlines are met.
- Balances daily transactions between operating system (Bistrack) and general ledger (Great Plains).
- Prepares and files sales tax and property tax returns accurately and timely.
- Maintains fixed asset records, ensuring all capital purchases and retired assets are accurately recorded.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Focusing on the professional and technical development of accounting staff by serving as a mentor and providing relevant coaching and training
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Responds to inquiries from Senior Leadership, Controller, and other managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Works with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year
- Works with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Provides a report of daily banking requirements.
- Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Ensures the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
- Supports Controller with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Exhibits Company Brand Behaviors consistently
- Understanding and knowledge of accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations
- PC proficient with strong experience in Microsoft Word and advanced capabilities in Excel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Excellent leadership and mentoring skills
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting
- CPA license preferred
- Public accounting experience a plus
- Five to seven years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
- Experience with automated accounting systems.
- Specific experience with Great Plains and manufacturing systems are a plus.